Each of the daily activities we partake in can cause back pain. With each chore or each workout back pain is a risk. This is why millions of people suffer from back pain. Though most back pain is short term, other types of back pain can lead to chronic pain lasting for months.
What Causes Back Pain
- Back Sprains & Strains: A muscle strain or a ligament strain in the back is a very common cause of acute low back pain. This is typically cause by heavy lifting, twisting, or moving abruptly.
- Disc Degeneration: As we age the space between our spinal discs gets smaller, making back pain more commonplace. This sometimes causes the intervertebral discs to lose fluid and flexibility. The result is a decrease in the discs' ability to cushion the spine and allow for proper nerve communication.
- Sciatica: When your sciatic nerve is compressed it causes pain in your back and sometimes down your leg as well.
- Traumatic injury: Car accidents, slip and falls, sports related injuries, etc. can result in severe back pain.
Preventing Back Pain
Obviously you want to be able to go through your daily activities without pain so you're probably wondering what you can do to prevent back pain. Try some of these tips:
- Lose Weight: Shedding those extra pounds and maintaining a healthy body weight keep unnecessary strain off your spine.
- Practice Good Posture: Maintaining proper posture while sitting or standing is an important, and easy way, to prevent back pain.
- Use Proper Form: If you're working out or lifting heavy objects make sure you use the proper form to avoid injury.
- Receive Regular Chiropractic: Chiropractic adjustments keep your back strong and healthy, making you less likely to suffer from back pain.
If you are experiencing back pain, give us a call to see how we can help you!