With fall around the corner, all the of the wonderful hikes in the surrounding areas are calling your name! However, if you suffer from vertigo it can take all the fun out of the outdoors (and the indoors sometimes too). Chiropractic can help alleviate your vertigo symptoms.
First, I want to take a moment to briefly explain what causes vertigo:
Injury to the balance centers in your central nervous system
- Lesion of the brainstem or cerebellum
- Obstruction of the blood supply to an organ also known as infarction
- Nerve cell damage in the brain caused by Parkinson's Disease
- When your immune system eats away at the protective covering of your nerves also know as Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- When the brain tissue extends into the spinal canal also known as Chiari Malformation
- Sensory disturbance, loss of consciousness, or convulsions also know as Epilepsy
- Issues in your inner ear caused by infection also know as labrynthitis
- Benign Proxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) - episodes of dizziness and a sensation of spinning
- Meniere’s Disease - an inner ear disorder
Vertigo is most commonly caused by BPPV. BPPV is brought on by the dislodging of a calcium carbonate crystal in the inner ear. The crystal moves to acceleration centers in the inner ears, giving the brain the sensation that you're accelerating even though you are holding still. The treatment is simple in theory: move the crystal out of the inner ear. However, it is easier said than done.
The inner ear has 3 semicircular canals. Each one feels a different sensation, so depending on which canal the crystal is in, treatment will be different. Your chiropractor can detect which side and which canal the crystal is in, and then they can dislodge it. The procedure is completely dependent on the side and the canal affected. It may take a few procedures to dislodge the crystal. If you or anyone you know anyone who is suffering from vertigo please have them make an appointment with us.