Each and every one of us knows how important it is to eat healthy, to exercise...and to stretch. But this doesn't mean that we all do it. So if you are going to take the time to do anything, I would recommend stretching! It requires no special equipment or clothes and can be done anywhere and at any time.
Stretching increases flexibility, allows for easier movement and improves balance. Stretching can also help to relieve back pain, reduce stiffness and soreness and can help to improve posture, agility and athletic performance. It also encourages relaxation, reduces tension, improves circulation, reduces stress and fatigue, decreases the risk of injury all while making you feel better naturally.
5 STRETCHING TIPS
If you stretch regularly, you will condition your muscles for exercise. This helps your muscles to function more efficiently. Here are 5 tips to keep in mind while stretching:
- Warm up your muscles a bit before using them. Try jumping jacks, ride a bike around the block, jog in place, etc.
- Whenever stretching, never bounce or bob. Simply holding a stretch is what makes it effective. If you bounce or bob it can lead to injuries.
- Do each stretch slowly and in a controlled manner. Hold each stretch for 20-30 seconds.
- Stretching should be slightly uncomfortable. You should feel the stretch in the muscle you are targeting, not in your joints. Pay attention to your body and if you feel acute pain stop and call us for an appointment.
- Make sure you stretch both sides of your body or limb in the same way.
Wondering what else you can do to improve your health and wellness? Ask us during your next visit!